Product Engineer (Contract, Part-Time) APPLY NOW
Vancouver Area (will consider Remote)
At VSSL we believe that the desire to explore comes from within. We believe you will be able to explore more, travel further & experience deeper connections if you are self-reliant. We believe that time spent outdoors has the potential to positively impact our mental health and lead toward a better quality of life. VSSL exists to enable self-reliance & facilitate the spirit of deeper exploration.
VSSL is a consumer-centric brand; always striving to deliver enriching experiences. To build a strong brand experience requires optimism, curiosity and tenacity, embracing the unknown and taking calculated risks. As our brand grows and evolves it is paramount to retain our core position and develop products that deliver on our consumers expectations.
The Product Development Engineer will utilize best practices in the management of projects, associated engineering processes (including quality assurance) and assisting in the timely delivery of VSSL products. The Product Engineer will develop, document, test and deliver products that capture the original design intent/direction, satisfy consumer needs for function, performance, quality and achieve all cost, margin, and delivery expectations.
- Work closely with VSSL’s Founder and Design Director to develop product designs.
- Create all engineering technical drawings and specifications including but not limited to: technical data package, bill of materials, material specifications, and 3D CAD drawings.
- Develop and own product development calendar for assigned products to ensure all gates(milestones) are achieved in accordance with seasonal launch timelines.
- Work closely with vendors and manufacturing partners to optimize designs for function, aesthetic, manufacturability, and profitability.
- Manage the budget requirements for projects.
- Engineer products to achieve cost and margin targets.
- Analyze feasibility, cost, and return on investment for product ideas.
- Oversee the production of prototypes/samples.
- Develop and execute field test program.
- Understand and implement forms of relevant legal documents/agreements (NDA, JDA, exclusivity).
- Highly collaborative approach to ideation, design process, critiques, and feedback.
- Strong self-awareness, task and relationship management including proactively engaging 1:1 conversation.
- Strong cross functional communication and stakeholder buy-in.
- Ability to balance the use of logic & intuition.
- Calm and resolute perspective when facing challenges.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering or equivalent.
- 5+ years experience in outdoor hardgoods products or related field
- 2+ years of experience in Mechanical Design.
- Exceptional portfolio, demonstrating examples of products created from concept to production, and with successful introduction to market
- Expert knowledge of manufacturing processes for metals, composites, plastics (to include machining, forging, casting, molding for composites, injection molding, 3D printing, stamping, hydroforming and extrusion)
- Strong project management experience with extreme attention to detail required and a proven ability to establish and maintain schedules and deadlines.
- In-depth understanding of product costing evaluation: tooling, process, materials and component specifications
- Ability to investigate, analyze and resolve issues on product or process
- Knowledgeable in emerging technologies and state of the art components
- Interested in traveling up to 15-20% throughout the year.
- Informed with current industry standards and requirements for the outdoor hardgoods industry.
- Experience with product standards, test laboratories, governing agencies an asset.
- Proficiency in Autodesk 3D, Solidworks 3D or equivalent.
- Proficiency in Adobe suite is preferred, specifically illustrator.
|||Vancouver Area (will consider Remote)|||||||||reunNpDY-L0Mjxlw|||CONTRACTOR|||USD|||HOUR|||single||||||||||||false